Contest Runs June 7th through July 5th
Find out how your pie stacks up against the competition in a head-to-head pie baking contest judged by our Renew Church pastors during our Sunday morning livestream.
SORRY, WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING ENTRIES AS ALL CONTEST SPACES HAVE BEEN FILLED!
The First Annual Renew Pies for Pastors Challenge is open to amateur pie bakers only. Professional pie bakers or those who earn a portion of their livelihood from pie baking may not enter.
By participating in this event, entrants agree:
- To abide by the contest rules and decisions of the judges
- To allow their pie recipe to be published on the Renew Church website
- To allow organizers to publish photographs of them and their pies
HOW TO ENTER
- Contestants may enter no more than one pie
- A separate entry form, a detailed recipe, and a list of ingredients must accompany each pie
- Each pie entered must be in the name of the person who made it
- Individual entries only, no place of business or retail/dining establishment may enter
- 2 separate pies will be submitted each Sunday morning in time for the livestream (no later than 10:30am) all pie submissions must be reserved through Mitch Van Rassel, Executive Pastor and curator of the Renew Church “Pies for Pastors Challenge”
- A pie has a bottom crust, perhaps a top crust, and a filling
- Sweet pies only (savory pies will, perhaps, have their turn another day)
- Crust and filling must be made from scratch by the entrant only
- Pies submissions should be covered and at a proper temperature for the type of pie
- NO FROZEN PIES, please
- Please use only disposable 9 or 9 1/2-inch pie pans
- Fruit Pies
- Nut Pies
- Cream, Custard or Chocolate Pies
judging & prizes
The crew of our Sunday morning Livestream will taste and judge the entries. These judges are: Bartley Sawatsky, Wade Rininger, Erik Jensen, Andrew Wood & Erik Russell. This is a blind judging, in that the judges will not know who baked the pies. They will judge and score the pies and all decisions of the judges are final. Winners will be announced after the fifth week (10 pies) is completed. Please consider the light-hearted intention of the contest and accept the final decisions of the judging panel.
- All pies must be submitted to Mitch Van Rassel, between 9:30am and 10:30am on their scheduled Sunday.
- There will be 5 judges, and each pie will receive a separate score from each judge. The total score for each pie will be out of 100.
- Scoring: Pies will be scored, by each judge, out of a possible 20 points. Judging criteria will include: 6 points for overall appearance, 4 points for creativity & originality and 10 points for taste
- After 5 weeks, the scores will be revealed. The pie receiving the highest total numerical value will be the winner. In the case of a tie, the judges will review and discuss those pies before a second vote.
- Note that the pie pan will not be considered a part of the presentation, (please use a disposable pie tin).
- Judges will not know the names of entrants until the winners are announced.
- The winner will have a $250 cash donation made, in their name, to the food bank of their choice.
- The winner will be announced on the Renew Church livestream on Sunday, July 12, 2020 at the end of the service.
- Following the conclusion of the contest, the recipes will be posted on the Renew Church website.